Saturday, July 18, 2009

Atlanta Trip.. Legally Blonde the Musical...

So here it goes, all of those thoughts that have been swirling through my head:

I'm mad that I was disappointed with the musical.

My first issue: the person who played the role of Emmet. He played it differently than the original person (Christian Borle).
See the way he (DB bonds) played the character didn't make you fall in love with him. It didn't have you rooting for the underdog the whole time. Because he sort of made Emmet seem like an arrogant jerk. It reminded me of this guy I knew in middle school. And that certainly made me even less want to "fall in love" with the character. Even the way he said "doc" in my favorite song from the musical (chip on my shoulder). It was as if he was being condescending the whole play. Which I didn't like. But that really isn't as much criticism against the actor, I mean he had a nice voice and all. But *sigh*.

And now into the other issue (which had nothing to do with the play more the people around):
The first act the entire time there were these girls who sat behind us who were clearly drunk, they looked underage, and they talked THE WHOLE TIME! It was very agitating/frustrating.
So our whole little circle of people around them banded together and one of them told the ushers, who then told the higher-up people. And needless to say, we did not have that problem in the second act.

But now onto positive things.

The theater that the musical was in (Fox theater) was very impressive. And I was not expecting what I walked into at all. I had only been to two professional musicals before. And the theater those were in was nothing special. But this theater was something else.

First thing you see when you walk in is a ceiling that was simulated to look like the sky. I guess you could kind of relate it to Harry Potter, you know in the great hall where the ceiling acted like the sky? Well, there were clouds and stars moving the whole time. And that alone made a cool atmosphere.

And then the next thing you see, are all of these castle looking things. It literally looked like the set of Peter Pan. It was really cool.

The stage had a lot of cool architecture around it too.

But the next thing is most of the seats were in the balcony. The balcony was HUGE, it extended to about the fourth row on the floor. And we had great tickets.

And the orchestra "pit". Well it wasn't as much a pit as it was just on ground level with the rest of the seats on the ground. But the seats in the balcony were really the better tickets. So you were looking down on the stage. Which was different/cool.

The theater was really cool too.

So enough about the musical.

The next day my parents let me and Daniel sleep in, and then when we woke up. We went to eat at the "largest drive in restaurant in the world" (The Varsity), which quite honestly I didn't see the big deal about it.

And then we went down to the part of Atlanta where the aquarium, world of coke, and CNN world headquarters. Where we took a tour of the CNN center..
and then we walked around a while through the centennial olympic park.

And then we went to eat at some old friend's house. Which was fun.

And then today we went to an outlet mall and came home.

And that was the first leg of our Atlanta trip (haha, we're going back next weekend to see DCI :D....)

No comments: