Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sports

I have never been an athlete. And unless pigs learn to fly I probably will never be one either. So here am I going to tell my story. So sit back and laugh at me.

As a little girl with an older brother every other weekday I would tag along with my parents and brother to the soccer fields. My dad would blow his whistle directing the group of six-year-olds, my mom would talk with the other soccer moms, and I would sit on the blanket playing with my baby dolls taking no interest in the sport. And then every Saturday we would all make another trip to the soccer fields where I was surrounded but to many parents to count cheering on their children. I would usually take this time to find another poor little sister I could tag along, or I would just sit on the blanket and pester my mom. 

But don't forget baseball season. The longest games EVER and there was never grass around the field. 

And then it happened. I begged my parents to play soccer. And they let me. 

So I joined the soccer league. The devastation of the season was when we were deciding our team colors. 

"No pink!!?!?!" We all shrieked when our coach made the dreadful announcement that pink had already been picked. 
"Well, I guess we'll just have to settle for purple." we all compromised. 
"No purple either." the coach informed us.
"NO PURPLE!??!?!" that was it, the season was doomed from this start. 
We settled on the team color of blue, the most boyish color in our mind. 

I was never an athlete. 

During one game my dad pulled me aside and told me to be more aggressive and try to get the ball and score. But I informed him that silly dad that's what all of the other girls' dad's were telling them, and that I was being nice and letting them have a chance. 

This was when my dad realized that he had no hope of his sweet little daughter ever becoming an athlete.

I never tried baseball in a city league, but when I would just play around with other kids I could never hit the ball. I remember one time my family went to the baseball fields for daniel to practice his pitching while playing with the family. And I just sat pitifully in the outfield, and my parents would get on to me because I wouldn't play. (I only have one brother. So they really needed me to play. haha, I don't have a big family.)

So, basically I went to way many sporting events as a little girl to gain any appreciation of sports. 

When I was in the fourth grade I joined the city basketball league because my friends were doing it. Tryouts were the day after I went to cheer gym and as a dare did a front flip off the spring board, landed on my bottom on the trampoline, my knee popped up and smacked me under the eye socket, and I broke a blood vessel and busted my under-eye area open. 

I was placed on to quite possibly the worst team of the league, but it's ok because there were really cool people on the team. We won one game the whole season. 

OH! I just remember I was on the tennis team in middle school. I actually liked tennis.. I was fairly decent at tennis.. So I guess I'm not bad at ALL sports.

My parents always joke around that I'm going to marry a baseball coach (baseball is my least favorite sport. Longer games, and longer season). 

So there you have it. Why I'm not a fan of sports.. In a nutshell..

-Amanda

No comments: