Sunday, May 3, 2009

Picking a new song to play

So I had my piano recital yesterday, which is all good and well. Until you come to the point of: well what's next?

So here I am, flipping through my piano books finding a new challenging and excited thing to play. I've done this many times before so I thought "why not share the things I take into consideration when picking out a song to play". 

I take many factors into consideration when picking a new song:
FIRST: I flip through all of the music I have and type it into youtube to hear it.
SECOND: After hearing the song I ask myself many questions:
-Do I even like the song?
-Would this song make me want to practice and I would look forward to practicing it?
-Would other people like this song when I play it?
(yes I'll admit it, I like to please other people. I don't like to play long boring songs just to say. "well, I've played this song that's how good I am" if everyone I play it for just falls asleep during the middle of it.)
THIRD: (this is when the song is being taken into very strong consideration) I make my 
family listen to the song. After all, they're going to have to put up with it for a 
very long time as I practice it.

So there you have it. 

No comments: